Upcoming Events

Thursday, October 14, 2010

September Volunteer of the Month! - Nikki Cain

[100 people surveyed top 5 answers on the board...]
A big congrats to our September Volunteer of the Month - Nikki Cain!

Here's what our staff had to say about Nikki:

"Nikki has been volunteering with New Beginnings at the DV Family Law Clinic since Summer 2008. Nikki volunteers about twice each month and has eagerly volunteered to take on additional responsibilities."


"Nikki creates a welcoming environment, helping to put survivors at ease as they finalize their key questions for the volunteer attorney. Nikki is always eager and willing to contribute in whatever way she can -- whether it be spending extra time with a survivor who needs her listening ears to help sort through the relevant points to share with the attorney or using her tech savvy to address a computer problem."

We had a chance to chat with Nikki after presenting her with the award!

##

Q: Who are you and what do you do?
A: I am a feminist and a partner and a new puppy mama and a fierce advocate for social justice. I work for Onlineshoes.com, I volunteer at the legal clinic and I read voraciously. Wine and wonderful food and excited conversation are often involved in my favorite moments.




Q: Why did you want to volunteer for New Beginnings?
A: Someone close to me lives with DV everyday. I think a big reason for wanting to advocate for victims is trying to be a better advocate for her, if she ever wants me to be that.

Q: What do you like about volunteering at the Legal Clinic?
A: I love the interactions with clients. So often a woman comes in and is upset and fearful during the intake process and during the exit interview she is excited and empowered. Getting to be a part of that is priceless. Sometimes it feels like something I should be paying for, it feels that good.

Q: What websites do you most often visit?
A: Shakesville, tigerbeatdown, for fun: nataliedee and qwantz (yea talking dinosaurs!)


Q: What’s the funniest thing you’ve read/seen/encountered recently?
A: Devil Dog Buster after coming home tonight after volunteering at legal clinic. He was in his crate for longer than normal as both myself and my partner had engagements tonight. He was long overdue for some attention. And quite hilarious!


Q: If you celebrate Halloween, what are you dressing up as?
A: I never dress up, though I long to be that fashion-creative person that can put something fabulous together. Maybe someday. When I figure out how to costume the rhetorical triangle, then I'll start dressing up for Halloween.

Q: What’s your favorite Halloween candy?
A: Total guilty pleasure: candy corn pumpkins. As someone who considers themselves a hardcore foodie, this should make me hang my head in shame. Yet, my head is held high :)


##

Thanks Nikki for all of your hard work!

1 comment:

  1. In the interest of full disclosure, that is not actually my dog. I draw the dog-dressing line at a pumpkin sweater :)

    ReplyDelete