Upcoming Events

Thursday, October 28, 2010

Facebook Milestone - We reach 1000 fans, I mean, "Likes"

[If you wanted to invent Facebook, you would've invented Facebook!]

New Beginnings reached the big 1000 in Facebook fans/followers/likes-people. It's a big number and we are very fortunate to have such a large network of supporters. For such a milestone, we wanted to know more about the person behind the number! Staff, friend, family, volunteer, donor, concern citizen? Find out as we sat down with the 1000th "fan" and got to know more:

Here's Monica (right) with her mom!
My Name: Monica Brothers



My Occupation: United Way of King County, Loaned Executive for Workplace Giving
My Funniest Moment: I don’t have a funniest moment, but I find myself quite funny when I dance. And I dance often.



My Best Decision: My best decision was to attend the University of Kansas. I was blessed to receive a scholarship and play soccer while attending an outstanding university. I made great friends, received two degrees and had a fantastic time doing it.

My Hero(es): My hero is Mindy Niblock. She was my youth counselor and mentor while I was in high school. She made more of a difference in my life then she will ever know. She has inspired me to want to make this same difference in the lives of other teen girls.

My Reason why I work to end domestic violence: It is a problem that reaches everyone. It takes people who are willing to advocate on behalf of others. My passion to support those affected by domestic violence started when I was in kindergarten and I learned that my friends’ dad was hurting his mom. My heart broke for him then and I reached out to him in the way that a 5 year old knows how to. Now that I am an adult, I am reaching out to the people who are in similar situations the way that I now know how to. I am currently going through the volunteer training and am excited to serve in the shelter in any capacity that I can. When my contract with United Way of King County ends in December, I hope to find a position where I can combine my passion and my experience to fight to end domestic violence.

##

Thanks Monica for following us on Facebook! Keep up with all the latest from New Beginnings here! Here's to another 1000 individuals who work to end domestic violence in our communities.

1 comment: