Upcoming Events

Monday, January 30, 2012

Volunteer Spotlight: Kasey Burton

Kasey Burton (or “Little K” as we like to call her) began volunteering on the Help Line in June of 2011 and at the Legal Clinic two months ago.  It’s always a happy day when Kasey volunteers. She brings an uplifting energy to New Beginnings, possesses strong advocacy skills and makes the day more fun.

Q: Why do you volunteer at New Beginnings?
I love the hands-on approach New Beginnings lets volunteers have. I’m used to volunteering in a much more passive capacity, where the work is outlined, you have your task, and you do it. Here, a volunteer can accomplish whatever they want, and I couldn’t ask for more supportive people to work with. Everyone is always helpful, whether it’s answering a question or assisting me in transitioning into legal clinic—the staff here has always been great about working with me to help me achieve my goals.
Q: What are you up to right now? (work, school?)
Right now I pretty much just work and volunteer. I work at a restaurant downtown, which is fun and has really helped me get to know the area better. I plan on going to law school in the coming fall, but I'm not sure which school just yet. Still waiting on that LSAT score!

Q: What’s one thing New Beginnings’ staff might not know about you?
Before I wanted to be a lawyer I was convinced I was going to be a psychologist. I wanted to do research on serial killers, including interviewing them and helping the FBI solve cases. Ever watched Criminal Minds? That could have been me. Then my freshman year in college I took Intro to Comparative Politics and it ruined my plan because it was so awesome that I became a Political Science major.

Q: Do you have a motto or phrase you live by?
I try really hard to follow the motto “Just roll with it.” I used to be a hyper-planner with everything mapped out and I was stressed all the time! So I decided I needed to learn how to relax and just wing it sometimes. My stress level has declined significantly since I have embraced this phrase.

Q: What do you know about domestic violence now that you didn’t know before volunteering with us?
I think what stood out to me the most as I began to really learn about DV through New Beginnings was how difficult it can be to leave. When thinking about the elements involved in leaving an abuser I only ever took into account the emotional components. I had never thought about the “What next?” aspect of the situation. After training I really became conscious of issues such as finding a living space, financially supporting oneself and one’s children, and how hard some abusers will work to draw a survivor back in again. I find myself continually impressed by the strength and determination of those we work with.

Q: What’s your favorite thing to do on the weekend? Favorite place to eat out or get a cup of coffee?
Nap! I love naps. So much. I don’t eat out a lot, but I usually end up going to Chipotle. They have delicious guacamole. Guacamole = best condiment ever. If I’m looking for a good cup of coffee I’ll hit up either Café on the Ave (try their grasshopper latte!) or The Ugly Mug in the U-District. I also highly recommend The Ugly Mug’s lentil soup. Scrumptious.

Q: Tell us about the Bulletin Board Outreach Project you’re working on for New Beginnings. I started the bulletin board project inspired by my time as a resident adviser at the University of Washington. As an RA, it’s your job to act as a resource for residents, referring them elsewhere as necessary—especially in situations involving serious matters like counseling or substance abuse. When I was a resident in the halls I would’ve had no idea where to turn, and that knowledge increased only marginally when I became a RA. So, I decided the best way to help college students—many of whom are entering their first serious relationships or are realizing they no longer have their parents to fall back on—would be to advertise this information in the residence halls on floor bulletin boards. Students pass by them every day, sometimes reading them as they wait for the elevator, or if they’re wandering around avoiding homework. RAs have to put them up anyway, so why not incentivize the sharing of DV resources by making it easy for them? I pulled together some information on a number of DV topics, put them on PowerPoint slides for easy printing, and I sent them off to the Housing and Food Services administrators. With help from a friend of mine who is a current RA, I got their attention, and now we’re getting this important message across to students.





No comments:

Post a Comment