Upcoming Events

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Meet Kalie, our wonderful Children's Advocate at Transitional Housing Program!

Kalie is always consistent, reliable and is just overall great. The kids love her and her dedication to them is admirable. Not only has she helped us out with childcare for the past seven years, but she’s also helped us on field trips this past fall and summer. Our heartfelt thanks to Kalie! 
- THP Children's Advocates


NB: What do you do as a volunteer at New Beginnings?  What does a typical shift look like?
K: I do weekly childcare while the moms are in their support group. It's different every week! Sometimes we play board games, cars, or house. Other times its more quiet and we read or do an art project. My favorite groups are when we go to the park! The kids have so much fun playing on the toys or playing ball!
I also go on as many of the weekly summer field trips as I can! They are always fun, the zoo is usually a favorite for the kids!

NB: What do you do when you’re not volunteering?

K: I just finished school, and will be starting my externship soon! I'm a "big sister" with big brothers big sisters. I also love going to the beach and hiking with my dogs!

NB: What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever received?
K: My mom always told me, no matter what it looks like on the outside... you don't know what someone else is going through. So be gentle, patient, and understanding…It can make a real difference!

NB: Anything else you’d like to share with other volunteers?
K: It takes incredible courage for these women and children to escape the violence. We can all learn a lot from them!  Volunteering at New Beginnings for the last 7 years has been so rewarding! I get to work with great people and I love the families!





This is a picture of me and my brother, Karsten, at the 2012 New Beginnings Steps Against Domestic Violence walk!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing this blog with us. Are you searching for North Carolina transitional housing? New Beginning Sanctuary NC is one of the best place for you. Here, we provide the very best services for transitional housing.

    ReplyDelete