Upcoming Events

Thursday, June 7, 2012

Volunteer Spotlight: Theresa Mottet

Theresa Mottet has been a truly cherished and reliable volunteer for over 19 years. Her unwavering dedication to support New Beginnings work to end domestic violence is inspirational for many. After starting the first auction many years ago, Theresa is still involved in raising vital funds for survivors of domestic violence through New Beginnings’ annual Gala & Auction, where she recently served as the Procurement Chair. Theresa continues to procure amazing items for our Live Auction line-up and is a great teacher for others, always sharing her valuable tips.

What do you do as a volunteer at New Beginnings and what’s your favorite part about volunteering here?
Over the last 19+years, I’ve been a volunteer at New Beginnings, commencing with the auction originally manifested by Seattle Women in Travel. As the elected president, I took on the role of chairing their mutually beneficial fundraising auction, having not been to one. It was baptism by fire and a series of angelic beings that showed me the way. It was the first year we had chosen to use an auctioneer. Jeff Stokes, owner of Stokes Auction, was another presence with the generosity of spirit to offer heaps of support and guidance. It turned the dial on the monetary gain for both non-profit organizations. Seattle Women in Travel retired the organization at which time I jumped the lines and became a fervent volunteer. This based on the services of New Beginnings and the stellar group of individuals I met along the way.

Why is domestic violence an important issue to you?
Being asked that question at my initial involvement, I might have scratched my head. I tend to “just show up.” I do know that when I moved back to Seattle after having a business in the Bay Area, I found much later… a journal that spelled out, I wanted to have a dedicated position in the travel industry, so to have more time to work with women and children. Who knew then what would transpire. I was “given” a position as Director of Sales for Lindblad Expeditions, after long forgetting the journal. It was apparently, meant to be.

What do you know now about domestic violence that you didn’t know when you first started volunteering?
To be honest, I had not been physically abused however, emotionally. In hindsight, I was on my way to the next level. It all makes sense now with the awareness expanded as to how prevalent the issue is and a better kept secret?!

What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever received?
“You shall love your neighbor as yourself.”

If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?
Honor and appreciation of the human spirit.

Anything else you’d like to share with other volunteers?
You give and you get, it is as simple as that. Choose your directed passion for giving and the rest will unfold in amazing ways!



1 comment:

  1. Hi Theresa, a voice from your past, Claudette here. Are you there?

    ReplyDelete