Upcoming Events

Monday, February 28, 2011

January Volunteer of the Month! - Joy Shay

[Gopher It]

Joy's picture is coming soon!
Hey folks, we're very proud to announce our January Volunteer of the Month! - Joy Shay

Joy has been a volunteer at our Community Advocacy Program since 2009 and here's what our staff had to say about her:
Joy has been an exemplary volunteer. She started out on the Help Line and then when I asked her if she would like to co-facilitate my support group she said yes! I am so very glad that she did. She has been consistent, knowledgeable, and well liked by the participants! Joy has been such a joy (no pun intended) to work with. She is very capable of facilitating a support group all on her own, which in fact she has been put into that position and was remarkable. With Joy’s background in the medical field she has a keen ability to pick up on many things not noticed by many. In my weekly support group we have about two potlucks per year. So our holiday potluck was completely funded by Joy herself and what a lovely spread she provided! I do hope that Joy is able to continue as my co-facilitator, we are blessed to have her as a New Beginnings Volunteer!


No kidding about that potluck!:


Anyways, we had a chance to sit down with Joy and here's what she had to say:

Q: Who are you and what do you do (when you’re not volunteering)?

A: I’m an RN and I work for a surgical center.


Q: Why did you decide to volunteer for New Beginnings?
A: I decided to volunteer because I started learning about domestic violence from DAWN. More than 20 years ago I lived in Tacoma and I happened to have a neighbor that was experiencing severe domestic violence. That was my first exposure to it and because of her, I wanted to learn more about it. And then I moved to Seattle and I started volunteering at the shelter. But then life got crazy so I stopped and then a couple years ago I came back. This time I decided I wanted to do something more with the women directly and that’s how I ended up at the support groups [as a co-facilitator].

Q: What’s been your most memorable experience as a volunteer?
A: This one time at an event New Beginnings hosted, I saw one of our [participants] speak about her experience with domestic violence. As a co-facilitator, I watched her as she progressed and grew. For me, seeing her be able to stand up and see her tell her story was quite something.



Q: Did you make a new years resolution? If so, how is that working out?
A: Yes I did and I certainly haven’t done it! My resolution was to exercise more and I haven’t yet.


Q: What’s one thing about you people would be surprised to learn?
A: I’m sports nut. I’m a huge baseball and football fan. I know a lot about both sports that people would be surprised to find out.


Q: If someone made a movie about your life, who would you want to play yourself?
A: Discounting race, I'd choose Diane Keaton. I enjoy everything that she has done and I’d go with her. She’s got a lot of verb and sass.


Q: What would that movie be called?
A: I’d like it to be called, If You Never Grow Up, You Don’t Have To Grow Old.

Q: Anything you’d like to say to the millions watching at home?
A: All I can say is everybody has to find something that touches your heart. Go after it. It doesn’t have to be much--just do something. And [Women’s Advocate] Veronica is just absolutely awesome to work with. She is really something. I can see how much she gives to the women and how comfortable she is with them. And you can see it, you can just see it.

##

Thanks for all that you do Joy. And those are wise words to live by--go for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment