Upcoming Events

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

October Volunteer of the Month! - Barb Libbey

[Circle gets the square!]

Barb!
We're proud to announce the October Volunteer of the Month: Barb Libbey! Barb has volunteered with our development team for over a year and here's what some of  our staff had to say about her:

"Barb is compassionate, kind and a hard worker. She is consistent, arrives when scheduled and is up for any task that needs doing. Aside from her hard work, she is incredibly thoughtful, often asking staff members about what is going on in their lives with genuine interest. Barb arrives with a smile on her face and lights up the office. She is a real delight to work with."

"She has a firm grasp of the work we hope to accomplish and is able take a project from start to finish on her own. She understands how our database works and is able to trouble shoot. Barb is close to our mission; every holiday she is part of a group that makes fleece blankets to give to our shelter. The residents just love them. Thanks Barb! We could not do it without you."

We had a chance to chat with Barb after presenting her with her award!


##

Q: Who are you and what do you do?

A: I have a background in software development and project management and offered my services to the Development Office to help maintain the information in their data bases. When New Beginnings is in full “auction gear”, I work on getting the auction items and donor information entered. Other times, I help out by trying to keep the data in Raiser’s Edge current.

Q: Why do you volunteer for New Beginnings?
A: My business slowed down in the fall of 2008. I had time on my hands and thought it would be an opportunity to give back in some way. I really enjoy going in to the office and all of the people that I work with there. It’s a bright spot in my week.

Q: What’s a memorable story you have from your time working with New Beginnings?
A: There were purple napkins randomly placed around the tables at the recent luncheon held at Nordstrom’s. After the lunch, one of the speakers asked everyone to stand that sat in a spot with one of those napkins. The number of people standing represented the number of men and women who died as a result of domestic violence in Washington last year. It was very moving and I’ll never forget it.



Q: What’s a good book you read recently?
A: I’m reading Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel. It takes place in Henry VIII’s England in the 1500’s and is fascinating. I don’t usually go for historical fiction but I haven’t been able to put it down.



Q: What Thanksgiving food are you looking forward to the most?
A: The turkey skin when it first comes out of the oven.



Q: What’s one thing most people don’t know about you?
A: My first real job was driving an ice cream truck!

Q: Anything you’d like to share with the millions watching at home?
A: My favorite saying about life: “This ain’t no dress rehearsal”

##

Well said, Barb! Thanks for all of your hard work!

1 comment: