Upcoming Events

Monday, September 20, 2010

August Volunteer of the Month - Sonni Rierson

[Blizzard!]

Hey folks, we're very proud to announce the August Volunteer of the Month - Sonni Rierson! Sonni has been a dedicated Childcare Volunteer at our Community Advocacy Program and here's what New Beginnings staff had to say about her:

"Sonni has been volunteering in Childcare every week for over a year.  Sonni is very dedicated to the children we serve and works hard to be a positive, consistent, and caring adult in their lives.  The children respond very well to Sonni’s leadership style, and she works well with all staff.  She is a joy to have, and is consistently going above and beyond in every way. Her consistently positive and upbeat attitude and commitment to New Beginnings is truly inspiring."

##

Q: Who are you and what do you do?
A: I am Sonni Rierson. I am 28 years old and just recently got married. I enjoy cooking and working out. I am currently a pharmaceutical sales representative and just started a masters program for Health care Administration.

Q: Why do you volunteer for New Beginnings?
A: I moved to Seattle about two years ago and was looking to find a way to get involved in the community. I didn't know many people when I moved here, so I was also interested in making new friends.

Q: What’s your favorite thing about volunteering with kids?
A: I can completely forgot about my life and get wrapped up in their world. I enjoy spending time talking and playing with them. No matter how terrible my day is, I always feel good when I leave my time with the kids.

Q: One restaurant everyone in Seattle should try is…?
A: I really like Volterra in Ballard. I went there a year or so ago for my birthday and was really impressed. However, we love to go get pizza at Piazzo's on Eastlake on a regular basis. The pizza is awesome and the atmosphere is relaxed!

Q: What’s your favorite guilty-pleasure (TV show, drink, candy, etc)?
A: I love watching reality TV. Top Chef, Rachel Zoe Project, Real World, etc. make me laugh. I enjoy the "people" side of these types of shows and always have plenty recorded on my DVR. As for food, I love Blizzards from Dairy Queen. My all time favorite is a chocolate blizzard with Reese's peanut butter cups. YUMMY!



Q: One thing most people don’t know about you is…?
A: I spent two summers in Alaska during college. I went to work at a fishing lodge in Illiamna, which is very small and only had one paved road. I worked in the lodge and helped make and serve the food. It was a great experience!

Q: Anything else you’d like to share with the millions watching at home?
A: Thank you so much for giving me this award!! It is really cool...

##
Thank you Sonni! Your certificate and prize from This Charming Candy are coming your way!

1 comment: