Upcoming Events

Monday, May 17, 2010

Suggestions/Tips for Volunteers in Training and a Lilith Fair Request

[Volunteers volunteering their advice to other volunteers]

Hey everyone, I have two favors to ask (on a Monday morning no less!). One: Our latest group of Volunteers in Training (Class of Summer 2010!) is geared up and ready to go starting May 25th and I think it'd be great to hear from volunteers that have been through the training before: What advice would you give to the new class? What tips/suggestions do you have for those who are about to start our DV Volunteer Training?

Let us know in the comments and I'll send them to the new group. Your input is appreciated!

##

Two: We need your help with to put New Beginnings on the map to potentially receive a big donation from  the newly revived Lilith Fair!

Lilith Fair (coming to the Gorge Amphitheatre on July 3rd) has a Choose Your Charity contest. In each area on the tour, five groups have been selected from a list of nominees to receive $1 for each ticket sold (potentially $20,000!). We are on the Seattle list. Facebook users can vote until May 31 for the group of their choice. The final winner will be selected by Sarah McLachlan and company from the top three. It's kind of like American Idol, except this time Simon, Randy and Paula Ellen are the ones deciding who wins it all but we need your support to be in the running.

The steps: become a fan of Lilith Fair on Facebook, click on the “Choose Yours” tab at the top of the page, select Seattle, then select New Beginnings. It’s that easy! Click here: http://www.facebook.com/lilithfairtour to participate.

-Luke

2 comments:

  1. My advice to new volunteers is to start volunteering right away after your training is complete. My group finished our training in the Fall, and due to timing and holidays, I didn't start volunteering until January. By then, I felt like all my new knowledge had seeped out of my brain, so I spent 2 weeks cramming through all of my training materials to get ready for my shifts at shelter. Jump into the fray as soon as your training is done.

    And come volunteer at shelter. We need people.

    Team Shelter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Shelley for your suggestions! Anyone else with suggestions/tips for those while they're in our training or when the complete the training? - Luke

    ReplyDelete